Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Hiccups

Status
Not open for further replies.

pachucos

MIS
Nov 21, 2002
US
We are having this problem. the wrkstns are getting frozen when they access or try to save a file or even print a file. I remains locked up between 45 secs and 1 min. and the users are unable to do anything else. The file and print server is a Win 2000 server. It doesn't show any errors in the logs. the users get an error stating there is no more free disk space and in the wrkstns system logs show a event id 3013 &quot;the rediredtor has timed out to server&quot;. and it is always the same server. the server has plenty of disk space free. it is a 4 processor P4 1.2 with 4 gb of memory and about 200 gb of free space. we are running a mix of Server 2000 and Server 2003, the workstations are all running NT 4.0 Wkstns. I have checked and cleaned up WINS and DNS. all the servers have been rebooted as also the switches have been rebooted. Ping times are less than <10ms when you ping the server. Is there anything else that can be done? or I am Missing? This error is very random and not with the same users.
Is there any one thing to look for in the performance monitor? Any and all help will be greatly helpfully.
Thanks
Tom

I've seen this happen because two different issues. 1) Your System Volume is full. You say you have 200G free, but is that on your System Volume or a separate data volume. 2) You have mismatched speed and duplex settings on your NIC and switch. If your NIC is set to Auto you might try setting to 100/Full or whatever your network is configured for.

MikeL

Thank you I will try changeing the link speed to 100 full and makeing sure the switch is also the same.
as for the system volume it has 1.04G free. the Page file is on a differnt volume that has about 10G free.
I will let you know if that works.
Once again thanks

A 1G of free on your System volume isn't much. Is your Spool directory still on your System volume? If it is and this is a printer server, this could cause your System volume to fill up from time to time.

MikeL

My spooler Directory is on another partition that has 5G free. I changed the link speed and amde it to full duplex last night. Hopefully this will fix it. I will let you know. Thank you for the help.

Nope I still have the same problem, nope of these worked.
I am going to blow away the WINS database this weekend and other than that I am not sure of anything else to try.

Ok Now I just deleted the WINS database and recreated it. and I am still have the same problems. I am not sure wher to go from here. Any suggestions would very helpfull.
Thanks

Thanks I will look into this and see. Hopefully it works
I will let you know.

OK I finally fixed it. It comes to CA real time monitor. I had it set to scan both incoming and outgoing files. When I changed to scan only outgoing files the problem went away. I called CA on this and they are aware of it but haven't published anything about it yet. I appreciate all the help you gave me.
Thanks
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back