Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server HD Performance 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeadnaS

Programmer
May 30, 2011
Hi folks,

I have been looking at some SSD Cache drives recently and I'm also trying to improve hard disk performance on our server. The server is a Dell PowerEdge T310 with 3x500gig SATA2 7200rpm drives in RAID 5, the Raid controller is a Dell PERC S300 which i'm told is software based.

Would i see much of a performance increase by using a hardware based RAID controller card? And how would I implement an SSD Cache drive (like an OCZ Synapse drive) in this raid 5 system?

Its got Windows Server 2003 Standard with 4gigs ram and an Intel Xeon X3430 (Quad Core)

Thanks in advance,

Seadna.

The OP should switch over to SQL first and see what happens. That should be the cheapest/easiest step to take. Then evaluate where the performance is.

Then talk of server upgrade/replacement could begin.

We will be trying out SQL server very soon and then we will make a decision on our server hardware.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back