Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server hangs going to multi-user

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfooshee

Vendor
Jan 28, 2003
US
SCO openserver 5.0.6, Compaq Proliant DL760, which has been running for a couple of years, today will not go into multi-user mode. We had a tape problem, turned out ot be loose SCSI cable, and on reboot, it hangs at "Checking protected password and protected subsystem databases". Powered off and rebooted, went into singleuser mode, everything seems OK, although I am not the world's foremost UNIX person. CTRL-d CTRL-d to start multi-user, and it asks for the date, then gives the message and seems to stop. I can switch to the other console screens, which are still blank. Lock keys on the keyboard still toggle, but I can get no other response. The drives are an array, and at this point will light their access lights on and steady, all at once, for seconds or even minutes at a time.

Any suggestion on what to look for?

Walter Fooshee
Panama City FL

Follow-up. The system has now stopped responding to the keyboard, probably 45 minutes after first displaying the message about checking databases. I can no longer switch console screens, and the caps and num lock lights to no toggle.

have u checked TA 103157 at
it has some soultion for you. Normmaly file /etc/ioctl.syscon is corrupt.

u can also check TA 104588

[ponder]
----------------
ur feedback is a very welcome desire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back