Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server freezes after AIX client connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

GallopingGhost

Technical User
Mar 15, 2003
US
I need some ideas in trying to troubleshoot two UNIX platforms running AIX 4.3.3 ML9 that are connecting to Metaframe XP Feature Release 2 using Citrix client 6.30.

Situation when either of these AIX workstations connect to the server - the server freezes (mouse still works), but no display appears. I must power cycle the server (Windows 2000 service pack3).

The freeze occurs after the person enters his id & password and the log in scripts are executing. I am running Gateway services to a Novell server and we seem to get past that point.

I have uninstalled the Citrix Client and reinstalled. I can log in as the user on our other AIX workstations without difficulty.
Are there any traces left on the server that need to be removed from previous failed attempts? At one time, users did login to the Citrix Server from these AIX worstation, but once they failed ... no success ever again???

I've never seen this particular symptom, and I have just left a site with dozens of AIX clients. Sorry, I know that's annoying, I'm just saying I have seen this combination working and don't know what the issue is here, but would at least like to try to come up with something!

When a user logs in, a Terminal Services profile is cached in the Documents And Settings folder - doesn't matter what the client is. You can delete these on the server by right-clicking My Computer and selecting User Profiles (or having a dig around in the Documents And Settings folder).

I am assuming that your Citrix servers are Windows 2000, of course. NT4 TSE is slightly different.

What happens in the logon script at the point it fails - ie after the Netware connection is made - you are running the client in the Citrix sessions, and you did install the Novell client before you installed Metaframe?

Hope some of this helps

Thanks for the advise. I understand your initial comment and I have 20 other IBM AIX clients connecting to the sever without issue.

The Citrix server is running Windows 2000 and I want to say that Service Pack 3 is installed.

The Novell/Citrix arrangement is through gateway services on the Citrix server and we are not running a netware client.

I am trying something, I had 1 user who had a real slow performance. I have removed his profile, user account and did a registry edit for anything associated with his user id. Then rebuilt his account and everything runs fine. I am just wondering if its just a Windows thing that keeps the clutter around?

Quite possibly - I use Group Policies to redirect user files (especially the My Documents folder) and Temporary Internet files out of profiles. Temp Internet files particularly can get really out of hand - you might want to try limiting them to 10Mb per user.

Hope this helps

For future reference
Finally tracked down the issue to to the redirector trying to map the printers and drives on the AIX Clients. I had just completed adding printers to AIX clients and since I was allowing them to use local printers, everytime an AIX client attempted to log it the server froze trying to allow the printers. This "freeze" occurred after logging into the Netware log in process started.

Solution: turn off the use of local client drives and printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back