Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server for Windows\Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

klibby

Programmer
May 30, 2001
US
kind of a simple question..... is there a way to make a server application where the socket works on both Windows systems and Unix(Linux) systems? if so, what would I use?

Apache+MySQL+PHP (all of them toghever) Ion Filipski
1c.bmp

filipski@excite.com

What i mean really.... I've made an instant messaging system, though I made the server with visual basic.. so the server will work only on a windows system.... Im not talking like a web server... I just basically want to make a different version of that server for the instant messaging system in C++ to make it work with both windows and unix...

basically socket programming.. but i dont know what to use really

Uhm, well, i'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but try the QT lib ( There's a easy to use socket class (and it's portable, same code on windows and(!) unix). Strange (but easy to use) concept (Signals/Slots) for notification...

I'm working with it for 8 weeks now, didn't encounter any serious problem porting code from win 2 linux (and vice versa).

take care, martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back