Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Edition and IP Endpoint Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

cztech

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
I installed an Expansion system IP500v2 today. This new system has a VCM32 and therefore 12 'Virtual IP Endpoint' licenses. The customer bought 5 additional IP Endpoint licenses which were applied (and show 'VALID') to the main, Primary Server. However, at the new location, I can only bring up 12 IP phones; phones 13-17 are showing 'No License Available.' My support channel agrees with me that phones 13-17 should grab the necessary IP Endpoint licenses from the Primary Server. On the Primary Server, supporting the customers main location, only 156 out of an available 181 IP Endpoint licenses are in use, so I know nothing I have the capacity, but this expansion site is not grabbing the needed licenses beyond the 12 virtual.

One other note:
Primary server: 8.1.65
Secondary server: 8.1.63
IP500v2 gateway: 8.1.63
IP500v2 expansion (new): 8.1.67

Any thoughts ?

cztech /

do you add the SE license to the server for the expansion or to the SD card of the Expansion?
we will be installing our first SE next month and I thought that you add the ONE SE license to the expansion ( 500) and then you connect it to the Primary Server (witch has its own SE license) , I must go back to the Documentation and reread that part...
I am awaiting what you hear on this issue as well, I would think that the VCM issue needs fixed or all existing systems can't be added to a SE with out replacing the VCM?... I don't like it, and Avaya ALWAYS cares what I think :-D

Dave

The SE licenses all go in the License area of the Primary server. In this case (unlike the endpoint licenses and the VCMv1, as is now clear), it is true centralized licensing. In this pic: you will see the licenses on the Primary SE. There are 4 "Server Edition" licenses so far for this customer - one each for the Primary, Secondary, IP500v2 gateway, and the recently installed IP500v2 expansion. These SE licenses aren't cheap, but they take care of the SCN stuff (so you don't need to buy Voice Networking licensing).

The PRI licensing went on the expansion IP500v2.

When I first installed the new expansion IP500v2, and didn't have the SE license yet on the Primary server, the expansion box was pretty much useless. PRI didn't work, and as I mentioned above, even the good old POTS ports on the combo card were completely dead! When I applied the SE license and tied it to the new expansion system, everything started working (PRI and analog station ports).

cztech /

The reasoning for the statement of leaving IP Endpoint licenses on the IP500, is for failover...

I have 10 IP endpoint licenses on teh EXP500, i hav 20 phone registered to the EXP500. if wan goes down, and i have trunks in teh 500, we are good.
If the phones are registered to the Primary or Secondary, and WAN goes down, the phones do NOT failover to teh local EXP500, so they are paperweights.

So you would usually want your sets homed to the local expansion system, so you would still use the local endpoint licenses

Was this issue ever solved I am having thee same problem with ip enpoints not being shared with secondary server.the secondary is a hp360.

[cheers]

Sorry I didn't update this with the final solution.

The problem was that there were about 30 "virtual" users on the Primary system (auto attendant forwards, user forwarding, mailbox only users) that were tying up IP Endpoints because 'auto-create extn' was left on by the original installation team.

In retrospect it seems so logical, and I wish I would have caught it earlier.

So, I cleaned up those extensions (not the users) that weren't really IP endpoints. After doing so, the physical IP endpoints that were being rejected earlier, started taking up the licenses and all was good in the world, again.

cztech /

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back