Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server dropping off the network randomly 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorrick

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
AU
I have Windows 2000 server in a domain with about 10 other servers, mainly NT.
It is running SQL SERVER 2000 on it and for some reason it keeps dropping off the network and random intervals - approx every 2 weeks. When it goes it cannot be browsed from any another machine although I think it can be pinged.
Very strange.

Anything glaring I could check?

I have the same problem with windows 2000 server and 2 windows 2000 pro workstations. I have tried everthing I can including setting autodisconnect off, but it randomly drops connections to both workstations every two or three days.

Have you tried changing NICs?
Or testing the state of the hub/switch that you are ocnnecting them through.

I have encountered a similiar issue where pcs just dropped off, Once I had updated the OS on the switch (it was a hp 2524 - to F02.02... ) the issue disappeared.

You might just be looking in the wrong area :)

good luck.

Have you checked the EventViewer for any Browser entries?

With body of the Event along the lines of unable to retrieve a list of Master Browsers from the device \\netxxor the Browser service has stopped and Election is being forced.

You may need to set up one of your servers to be the Master Browser - should be the PDC - in a NT4 enviroment. In the case of the W2k Server and W2K Pro it should be the server.
You can find the setting in the Registry:
HKLM_System_CurrentControlSet_Services_Browser_Parameters
IsDomainMaster True for PDC, False for Workstation

Zigcoors

thanks for the tip but I can't find this registry setting anywhere. CAn you be more precise? :)

mrreagan, try going into the services of the w2k pro's services and make sure that browing is turned off. Yorrick = HKEY_Local_machine-system-services-browser-paramaters Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"You can't stop the wind. But you can build windmills".
Dutch Proverb.

OK, (sorry to labour a point)

We are definitely getting

"unable to retrieve a list of Master Browsers from the device \\netxxor the Browser service has stopped and Election is being forced."

..kind of messages in the Event Viewer.

In the domain there is a PDC which is the Master Browser already, however it is an NT machine. Are you saying I should make this 2000 server a Master Browser also?

No - ensure the W2K server is NOT a Master Browser, by setting the IsDomainMaster to No.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back