Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Disk Size Requirments

Status
Not open for further replies.

janpetrucci

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
US
Hello,

My company has many internal web sites using SQL Server as
the backend database. We are in need of purchasing a new server due to size constraints on our current server.

Can anyone give tips/advice on how we are to determine the
size server we need to purchase??

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

JP

How much space is currently needed?

How much data growth do you have monthly?

What is your month to month data growth increase rate? (10-15% is usually a safe bet for a growing company, yours may be different however).

You roll up all the numbers for 18-24 months (longer if you want the server to last longer) and you'll have the number you need.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Use the performance monitoring tools to check how well your current server is performing processor and memory wise. Take into account the expected growth you expect to see. Will the new server have a fast enough processor and enough memory to handle that load given the performance you have now? Note: memory can be added almost anytime, pick the right processor now. You might consider starting with a single "capable" processor and adding a second later for the increased load.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Thank you both for the information. I think it will be helpful to us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back