Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server disappears from Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarkon4

MIS
Dec 16, 2003
US
I have a win 2003 r2 server functioning as a print server.
Printing is working fine, but when a user goes to add a printer, they cannot find the server it does not show up in Network Nieghborhood or when browsing to find a printer.
When viewing the network through windows explorer the server isn't there. I then go to the server and it sees everything just fine. I reboot the server and viola, it then appears for a couple of days and then goes away, but printing still works. I have looked in the event logs and have not found any errors.

Could someone please help.

yes, did check them and there are no errors. it happens for all the clients, they cannot see the server.

Are you running WINS on either the client or server end of your network? WINS will tend to cause that and unless you are running an OS previous to ME you have no need for WINS and can turn it off.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

How do I check for WINS? I don't believe we are using it.

Could be a long shot, but admins used to be paranoid about their machines being seen on the network. Make sure no has entered this reg hack:

[ H K E Y _ L O C A L _ M A C H I N E \ S Y S T E M \ C u r r e n t C o n t r o l S e t \ S e r v i c e s \ l a n m a n s e r v e r \ p a r a m e t e r s ]

" H i d d e n " = d w o r d : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1

Cliff, MCSE/MCSA/MCTS/CCNA/VCP/CCA

Is Netbios disabled? Check in the network adapter TCP/IP property pages. I believe that if Netbios is disabled, than the server will not appear in "Network Nieghborhood"( I am not 100% sure about this). However, this would not account for it "showing up for a couple days".

If it is the case, keep it disabled(better security). The printer can be added using a login script or typing the server name(or IP address) in an address bar:

\\servername

Are you using DNS?

Business and Data Integrations
A Northern Virginia IT Service and Consulting Company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back