Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Creation Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Germo

Technical User
Mar 29, 2004
GB
All Guru's,

Is there a way to find out when a server was built even if it has been upgraded? I have to find out on our 110 server when they where built. Any help would be great thanks.

'Built' as in OS installed etc I assume? Very often files in /dev aren't changed, so doing an ls -lt there might give you an indication of the original creation date.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

KenCunningham,

I guess that wouldn't be true if the server had been mksysb'd built.

Thanks Anyway, at least I have a starting point.

Good Question.

I'm not sure but wouldn't this type of info be provided by looking back to the DNS name creation time? Coz the server has to register itself to the DNS (or manually registered) to communicate!

Regards,
Khalid

lslpp -hac will show the time and date filesets are applied and commited, not sure what happens to these if it is mksysb cloned though...

so from the fileset level and date / time you can see the earliest time and date a fileset was installed and hence the install time of the system and then from the later fileset levels you can see when a ML / TL or SP was installed.

Hi Germo.

I have found this quite reliable to determine the installation date.

echo "`uname -n`"
ls -l /etc/3270.keys | read L1 L2 L3 L4 L5 L6 L7 L8 L9
echo "System was installed on $L7 $L6 $L8"

Regards
Charles

cdcallow,

Thats a very good script and I will use it on our servers that have not been installed via a restored mksysb backup.

It would be great if I could alter that script get the date from a server that was built via a mksysb.

Thanks

I have now checked it with a mksysb restore. I took a knowen server and did a mksysb to other hardware. I then ran the script on both servers and got the same date.
I hope this helps.

Regards
Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back