Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server.CreateObject Failed 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

elquiff

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'

Server.CreateObject Failed

/exchweb/bin/auth/owalogon.asp, line 4

800401f3"

I get the above error when I try to connect to outlook web access on our sbs2003 server. It also occurs when I try to upload pdf documents into a database from another asp app.

My investigations suggest a dll might not be registered correctly. If some could help with this it would be much appreciated

Thanks

make sure that you have asp extensions installed...check your IIS manager

-DNG

Also make sure that IUSR_machinename has all the permissions...

-DNG

Take a look at the line of code that raises the error... looks like line 4.

It will probably be something like:
Set SomeVariable = Server.CreateObject("Library.Class")

Then, when you find that, take the Library.Class bit and punch it into google to figure out which dll is not registered... For example ADODB.Recordset, ADODB.Connection, and ADODB.Command are all created from msado15.dll and Scripting.FileSystemObject is created from scrrun.dll

If you can't find the DLL name on google, post it here and maybe one of us will recogonize it.

Offending line is

Set LangMap= Server.CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

and appears to be same on both apps

permisions look right.
asp extensions are installed

Have had a look on google and it appears the dll that needs to be registered is scrrun.dll . Have looked at the server and this file resides in the c:/windows/system32 folder .

Thanks for help so far am I heading in rigth direction with this

That DLL file has another createable object named FileSystemObject...

Try making a new text file on the desktop and put this into it:
Code:
Dim oFSO

On Error Resume Next

Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

IF (err.Number = 0) THEN
  MsgBox "Object created OK!"
  Set oFSO = Nothing
ELSE
  MsgBox "Failed to create object."
END IF

So then save the file and rename it so instead of .TXT the extension is .VBS

Then double click the file to run it. You will get a messagebox that says the object either was created OK or it failed.

Sheco

Thanks for vb script tried it and the result was failed. Does this mean that the scrrun.dll needs to be registered

Thanks

Any particular reason that you know Sheco why this dll is not registered the outlook web access was working until about two weeks ago and if this is the problem seems odd to me.

To tell you the truth, I've never heard of that DLL being missing... I was just giving some examples of some objects that are commonly created in ASP pages... Usually when someone has this error their code is trying to create an object using a 3rd party control (ie: non-microsoft)

Does the scrrun.dll file even exist on the machine?

Worked a treat both apps now functional. The scrrun.dll did exist in the system32 folder which was another reason why I was confused by this. Have only just started getting involved with asp so your help in this matter is much appreciated

I'm glad it worked out for you but I'm curious as to how the dll got unregistered in the first place....any idea?

None at all there are a couple of applications on the server that are not managed by myself. Could be that one of these caused the problem. Everything was fine on the server no problems except when I came to put this asp application on to the server. I couldn't store images into the database. Then noticed owa wasn't working after a being told by staff member. All very strange. From the posts on this thread and other reading it appears this dll is quite important.

At least if this happens again I shall know what to do. Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back