Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server console hangs at blank desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2002
CA
Windows 2000 Server, SP3, running Exchange 2000, SQL Server 2000, SMS 2.0, Executive Software's Undelete & Diskeeper.

I have had this problem a couple of times now, but have not been able to pin it down. When I log off at the server console, it goes to a blank desktop (the standard light blue background) and stays there indefinitely. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing. I can still access the console remotely (for now - I believe last time that eventually quit working as well). The only odd thing that I have noticed beforehand is that there seemed to be a console session left open (when I log in, I get a message from Faxserve if there is another session open somewhere). I am not sure if this is a console session from the network that did not close properly.

Fix last time was the power switch.

Update to this problem:

Last night I rebooted the server from home (using RDP). I could not get in remotely after I rebooted it, so I was starting to get worried. I logged in remotely on to a PC this morning and the server appeared to be up and running, so I left it alone and came into the office. The server is now sitting at the same blank desktop screen - no login prompt, Ctrl-Alt-Del still does nothing. This is after a reboot, and no attempts at login. Also, RDP is now dead so I cannot connect remotely. I have got in to the MMC remotely and the terminal services service is running. The only thing I did last night before rebooting was run the two available Windows Critical Updates (an IE 5.5 security patch and an MDAC security patch). As I cannot get in remotely , I am now at the stage where I may have to just hit the power button and hope for the best :-(. Any other suggestions?

shot in the dark...

Had simililar situation with an IE update. If you can get in, maybe safe mode or multiple reboots, uninstall IE and reinstall it. I have Netscape as a secondary browswer and was able to to use this for the IE download.
or
from Dell site....

"No Desktop or Blank Desktop After Logging On to Windows 2000"
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
This article was previously published under Q256194
SYMPTOMS
When you log on to Windows 2000, you may see a blank desktop or no desktop. When this occurs, you can press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to start Task Manager, but Explorer.exe is not listed in the list of running tasks or processes. Starting a new instance of Explorer.exe does not resolve the issue.
CAUSE
This issue can occur if there is an older version of the Shdocvw.dll file in the %SystemRoot% folder. Because Explorer.exe is located in the %SystemRoot% folder, the search path for any called files starts in the %SystemRoot% folder before the path is searched. The default search order always looks for a called file in the folder containing the program file before searching the path to locate the file.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
On the File menu, click New Task (Run).
Type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
If necessary, change to the %SystemRoot% folder.
Rename the Shdocvw.dll file by typing ren shdocvw.dll shdocvw.old.
Restart the computer.
MORE INFORMATION
Other older files that may cause problems with Explorer.exe or the shell if they are located in %SystemRoot% folder:
Browseui.dll
Comctl32.dll
Comdlg32.dll
Mlang.dll
Ole32.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Shdocvw.dll
Shell32.dll
Shlwapi.dll
Urlmon.dll
Wininet.dll
Setupapi.dll

For additional information, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
162031 Blank Screen or Operating System Cannot Load Profile at Logon

255758 Error Message: Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by Windows

249321 Unable to Log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed

137155 Users Without System32 Permissions Cannot Log On
another.....
When explorer under Windows NT / Windows 2000 / Windows XP crashes, you will wind up with a blank screen with no Start button, no desktop icons, and sometimes no taskbar. No big deal. You can resolve it with a reboot. But what if you if you don't want to lose your work? I have also seen this remotely on web servers when connected with a tool like PCAnywhere. In any case, press alt-ctrl-del or for PCAnywhere or other remote tool have it generate the alt-ctrl-del sequence. If the Windows Task Manager dialog box appears, and it usually does, select the File menu and then New Task (Run). When the Create New Task dialog box appears, type in Explorer and press the OK button. Windows Explorer should restart complete with the Start button.

technome,

Thanks for the post. The problem I had was actually before the login prompt. I powered it down (via the power switch) this evening, and it came up fine. Must be one of those Microsoft "features" :). Maybe it just needed some long overdue TLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back