Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server cannot get outside of network

Status
Not open for further replies.

csone

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2008
US
I have a Dell PE running Windows Server 2000 that cannot access the internet. It can however access everything on my internal network. I have checked the IP settings and the gateway, subnet, and DNS servers are entered correctly. Is there something I am missing? Anyone have any suggestions? Let me know if you need any more information from me. Thanks in advance.

Chris

what spacifically do you mean when you say you can't access the internet? Are you talking about web browsing? Are you able to reach internet sites by their IP address?

I cannot access anything outside my network. I have tried going to websites by host name and IP address with Internet Explorer. I get "page cannot be displayed" if I use host name, and I get "cannot open search page" if i use IP address. I have also tried to ping external computers by host name and IP address with no success.

Is the servers DNS pointing to itself? (assuming it is the DNS server)

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

It is not a DNS server.

And the problem is only apparent on this one system?

Yes this is the only PC on my network with this problem.

And you have done a ipconfig /all and verified that the settings are correct. It shows up in the DNS server?
Do you have a ISA or Linux proxy.
Is it a dedicated line to the internet via a server?
Is it the same website you keep trying to connect to have you tried another address e.g this one may be cached, try ipconfig /flushdns.
Check the connection settings see if it's set to dial a connection.
Check if the work offline is not ticked.

I looked up the server in DNS and under its IP address there is a different computer name. The server with the problem is 192.168.101.11 and the host name is smsapps, but in DNS that IP address has a host name of permission.domainname.com

We do not have any computers named permission.

Delete that DNS entry then.

I deleted that entry, and added a new pointer with the correct host name. Still cannot access internet.

on the system, do an ipconfig/flushdns and then an ipconfig/registerdns

ipconfig /flushdns works, but I get an error when i do ipconfig /registerdns. Here is the error

Error: The system cannot find the file specified
: Refreshing DNS names

OK i got it fixed. I had to change the DHCP client service to automatic. it was at manual. Thanks to everyone for your input.

csone glad you got it working.
Just remember always make sure DNS and DHCP are working, and in your case everyone else was fine so it must be either Network Card settings, browser settings or DNS related. Follow the above steps and in most cases it should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back