Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server at OK prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavinB

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
GB
Hi,

On Monday morning, I was not able to connect to two of our recently configured Sun 280 servers.The servers were at OK prompt.I checked the message after booting it and there was no error message nor any shutdown message.Can it be due to power management settings????What to check in case it is ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated ....

Thanx

No there was no message in /var/adm/messages ......

If it's a power issue, check out the man page for power.conf. You could also rename S85power in /etc/rc2.d to s85power (small s), to stop the power management daemon from starting on rebbot. Kill any existing power-management related processes operating currently (pardon the pun!).

Hey,

I read the man page of power.conf and according to the man page, the default setting is no automatic shutdown....So any more ideas ???

Check the video feeds in the server room for a clumsy or disgruntled technician. It's not always a server issue, it may be a human issue.

How are you connecting to the console? If the console gets a Break character or a Stop-A, it will drop to the OK prompt. Also, a bad connection to the console can sometimes act like a break and drop it to the OK.

Hope this helps.

Thank u all for replying...I think it may be becoz of human error (power cable or power button of the server may have been fiddled with )....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back