Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server asks for ID when trying to retrieve web pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riod

Technical User
May 18, 2000
US
I set up my server to allow anonymous login along with challenge/response. The challenge/respone would kick in when ever I wanted to login to the default management pages, which is what it should do. Access to regular web pages was allowed anonymously. All of a sudden, when anyone tries to retrieve the web pages, they are prompted for a user-id and password.<br><br>Some investigation on my part shows that I could not locate the iuser-computername account in user manager. I created an iuser account and set the passwords to be the same in iis and user manager. The server still wanted a userid and password.<br><br>I unchecked the challenge/response and now the web pages can be retrieved as prescribed, but, when I log on to the default root for the management page, the page is displayed to me and when I click on the management highlite I am either prompted for a userid and password that does nothing or I get a rejected message with out the prompt for the userid/password ever being displayed.<br><br>What has gone wrong? Will I have to reinstall IIS and front page.

Firstly, it is preferred to create a new local account to replace the IUSER_etc account (member of guest group only) and delete the ISUER.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is due to the fact that everybody knows the default anonymous user account name and it is quite easy to obtain the computer name.<br><br>On the root of the site, allow anonymous only on the entire site. Choose let IIS sync password option.&nbsp;&nbsp;Then apply the Challenge/response option on the directory(s) that you wish to require a login. Check that the NTFS security on those directories is set accordingly.<br><br>Remember Challenge/response will only work for IE and not Netscape.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you are using Netscape you must use clear text login.&nbsp;&nbsp;If this is the case and you are concerned about clear text you can invoke SSL on the directory of concern.<br><br>Any changes to IIS security will require the W3SVC (Web Publishing) service to be stopped and restarted to before the changes take effect.<br><br> <p>Robin Ptasiuk<br><a href=mailto:rptasiuk@home.com>rptasiuk@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>MCSE, MCT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back