Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server & Network Traffic EXTREMELY Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

arfjay

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
CA
We have a 5 year old IBM Server with NT 4.0 SP6, 256 RAM = I received complaints of very slow network services so logged onto the server to check services. It was so slow I had only managed to scroll through 1\2 of the services after 10 minutes so gave up and rebooted the Server and things returned to normal.

** I reboot once a week [the last being 4 days ago]
** Diskkeeper [defrag software] was not running
** There were NO indications in the event logs of
anything wrong
** C:\ drive - currently 27% free space or 16%
according to Diskeeper
** d:\ drive - the majority of the pagefiles are here
and they are fragmented

This has never happened to my knowledge. The server has 'crashed' and rebooted itself 3 times in 5 years that I know of which is a reason I started rebooting once a week over a year ago - since then it has not crashed.

I need to know what this is a symptom of or whether it is kind of normal once in a while or whether I was just witnessing the beginning of a 'crash' or what.

I would greatly appreciate any clues.

Thank you

Ron

Ron,

Open the Task Manager and click processes, then sort by CPU. If the machine is running slow, this will take time but give us an indication what process is taking up cpu. Once you determine what executable has run astray, stop the service. Is the server responding better at that point? Also, if you have an openGL screen saver running on the machine that will use max CPU.

Rich

Assuming that the advice of RGPJR does not solve your problem, consider these things.

Have you run Perfmon ?
What is the main bottleneck? disk / RAM / network / etc.
Has IE6 been added ?
Is this server the only NT server (PDC) ?
If not, have other servers been rebooted recently ?
Is this server connected to the outside world ?
If so,
Is it through a firewall ?
What date was the last virus vaccine updated (it should
be today's)

Sorry about all the questions, but HTH

Pete H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back