Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server Advice 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronald75

Technical User
Jul 8, 2002
CA
First, my office has windows 2000 boxes linked peer-to-peer (no servers). There are 14 stations, and we are starting to run out of connections on some stations. Mainly the Archive station, and the print station.
What should I do?
Install Win2000 Server?

Second, should I buy a win2000 server book and learn a little as I go or hire someone else to do it.
I'm looking at the big picture and don't want to keep having to hire someone to come in and maintain the server. I already do programming, networking, and system maintenance for the office, so learning win2000 server souldn't be difficult.

Any tips would be appreciated.

installing a server would resolve your issue(s). Windows 2000 server is not hard at all to learn. Microsoft Press has some various good books on the subject, not to mention Mircorosoft has tons of articles explaining how things are done within the OS at Microsoft TechNet site.

I'll do that.
Shouldn't be too hard to read the book then decide if I still want to do it myself.

Having read many network books over the years, Mark Minasi is one of the best technical book writers. His "Mastering Windows Server 200(x)" series are the books to buy (Sybex). If you build a network with his books as a reference you won't get your self in trouble ( at least not due to the reference material). Microsoft's books are slated for sales and can lead you down avenues which you should not take.

A 14 node network is great to learn on; with a tape backup, the worst that can happen can be corrected with a complete rebuild in a few hours. Three pieces of software you need Executive Software's "Undelete", "Diskeeper" and a good anti virus program such as Symantec corporate edition. A server for network will be relatively easy to install and once completed will require little maintenance. Backup, Document, and KISS

Paul

There are several versions of win2000 Server available. Does anybody have a link that compares all the options?
Which is best/worst.

For only 14 workstations, the standard Windows 2000 Server should more than suffice for your needs. Windows 2000 Advanced Server is a little bit more indepth, providing higher levels of scalability, reliability, and availability but not needed for only 20 some users. Windows 2000 DataCenter would just be a waste of your money.

As for learning Windows 2000, it's not that difficult especially if you're at all familiar with NT, but implementing Active Directory can be confusing if you don't know what you are doing. Honestly, I would suggest hiring someone to install the server and ensure it is functioning properly before handing it over to you, but if you're set on doing it yourself than I would highly suggest installing it a few times on a practice machine before implementing it on your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back