Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2008 Remote Apps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divaldo

Technical User
Sep 18, 2007
GB
I have a server 2008 box configured with remote desktop and have setup some remote apps.

I can logon to the website ( then click on an app, enter my credentials again, and it runs fine inside my network.

I am publishing the site through ISA 2006 and my external users are able to log onto the website, but when they click on an app they just keep getting prompted for credentials over and over again. The prompt just says ' Enter your credentials', for TS Gateway Server and Remote Computer and at the bottom says 'The logon attempt failed'.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you.

Are you also using TS Gateway as well? TS Web Access/RDS Web Access/RemoteApp is designed for internal use. If you want to publish across the Internet then you will need the TS Gateway/RDS Gateway installed and configured as well.

The Web Access/RemoteApp server merely publishes RDP connections via a web interface. You connect to Web Access/RemoteApp via HTTP or HTTPs (ports 80 and 443 are default) and then when you click the link an RDP session (port 3389) is launched to connect you to either a) the terminal server/RDS Session Host server or b) your connection broker, if you're using one. If you're coming across the Internet then you can't connect via RDP to the internal servers. That is most likely your issue.

If you install the TS Gateway/RDS Gateway components then the TS/RDS Gateway will not only be handle authentication over HTTP, but it will also proxy your RDP traffic through the firewall to the terminal servers/RDS Session Hosts.

If you're confused by the terminology, note that with Server 2008 R2 Microsoft has re-branded Terminal Services to Remote Desktop Services (RDS).

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Thanks for the help, I am indeed using TS Gateway as well.

I think I have traced the problem back to our ISA server. When examining the logs I can see successful logons to the published site, however when I try to launch one of the apps i'm seeing "12202 The ISA server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator" and a denied connection to /rpc/rpcproxy.dll

Is port 3389 allowed inbound from the web to the TS Gateway box?

MCTS:System Center Virtual Machine Manager
MCTS:Windows Server 2008 R2, Server Virtualization
MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back