Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2008 R2 Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafer157

IS-IT--Management
Feb 17, 2005
US
Hello,
We have updated our old server to server 2008 R2 and I am adjusting to the "new" way of defining permissons to folders.

I have a hidden share called Users with 20 users folders nested inside. I want to make sure that "mary" can not open "jim's" folder to see the contents in the event they find the hidden share.

On the user folder share I have given full rights to authenticated users. On the individual folders authenticated users only have modify rights. With this setup folks can still access everyones folder.

It would take a while to set each user folder with individual security. There has to be a way to do this in one fell swoop.

Thanks for helping a 2008 newbie!

Assigning NTFS permissions in 2008 is the same as 2003. Assigning share permissions is the same if you use the advanced sharing tab.

As for the issue, whether it's 2003 or 2008, there is no way to handle this kind of granularity without scripting. However, for 20 folders, it would be quicker just to handle it manually than it would be to write and test the script.

I would assign "Change" rights to the authenticated users group for the hidden Users share. I would then assign NTFS "Modify" rights for each user for their own user folder as well as the administrators group and any managers that may require access to the folders and remove the authenticated users group.

---------------------------------------
Bob Beck
Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back