Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003/SBS 2k3 and Terminal Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanrat

Technical User
Mar 14, 2007
CA
We are creating an MS-Access DB that is to be used both locally (head office) *and* from 4 remote locations. I am planning to install the DB 'back-end' at 'head office' and use Terminal Server (TS) connections from each of the remote buildings to access this DB from custom 'front-end'

I have read that SBS *cannot* run as an Application Server/TS natively but *can* be configured to do this by installing "Virtual Server 2005" then adding the TS licenses to run inside the virtual Server.

Here are the additional complicating factors:

1. The local LAN ('head office') is currently peer-to-peer with 15 Desktops/Laptops Total (*NO SERVER* - 1 workstation doubles as 'Data Server' for *all* data)
2. LAN traffic is pretty heavy with (up to) 10 users reading and writing AutoCad files to the wkstn/"Server"
3. 2-3 AutoCad users work remotely from time to time using Remote Desktop/LogMein

To this environment we need to add a 'true' Server not only to address the new requirement of a TS/Application Server for the 3 local and 4 remote DB users but also to provide a better data storage solution and security.

I realize the best technical solution would be 1 SBS 2003 Server + 1 App/TS Server but since we have to purchase the H/W and OS's that's too steep.

So ...
Question 2 - Would a SBS 2k3 box running the virtual server and TS solution do the job and if so what hardware is recommended?

OR

Rather go with regular Server 2003 and TS (no domain controller)?

It sort of depends on how you use the domain/AD. If you do not take advantage of the OU, and roaming profiles. if you dont want/need the version of exchange that comes with SBS2k3, if you are not worried about the security stuff that you get running a domain, then why bother?

I personally would not put all my eggs in one basket, but a standard server 2k3 can be the DC and TS and data store.

SBS is a little cheaper, but you may not need those features.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back