Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003 routing and connectivity question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangermouse1977

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2007
GB
Hi Tek-tippers

I have a situation that is slightly beyond my level of understanding, but I need to sort it.

situation is thus:

1x server with 2 nics in
nic 1 called hub
nic 2 called internet

nic 1 is assigned the following
IP address 192.168.1.100
s/net 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
dns 192.168.1.100

nic 1 is connected to my office switch

nic 2 is set to suto and is connected to a load balancing internet router (Linksys RV042) which has the IP address 192.168.0.1

connected to the RV042 are 2 internet services - a cable connection and a satellite connection, with the box set to load balance between the 2 connections.

If I have just the cable internet connection connected to the RV042 then everything works fine, pings work, dns resolves, the internet works on the workstations on the LAN.

If I connect the satellite as well then the internet still works and dns still resolves correctly, but ping stops working.

If I have just the satellite connected then nothing works.

I thought this pointed to the satellite being faulty, but if I plug that straight into my PC then everything works fine.

I'm struggling to think what's wrong with the setup, I really need the satellite to start working.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

From the IP settings you have provided;
IP address 192.168.1.100
s/net 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
dns 192.168.1.100

I am no expert but with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, you would not be able to see anything outside of the 192.168.1.x subnet which includes your default g/w

Hi,

I am not sure if you can do 1 gateway with 2 providers.

Regards,

M.A.

Sounds like the Linksys is not configured correctly to deal with the satellite connection.

In the config page of the Linksys-what do the WAN1 and WAN2 on the network settings page say?

If you can plug a laptop in and get and IP from your satellite ISP then the ISP must be doing DHCP for you and the WAN2 interface will need to be set as such-which means that you don't have a static IP on the sat connection(probably).

Whereas, I imagine your cable connection has a static IP?

When using two nics on one server only one nic should have the gateway configured.

The other has to be configuring using static routes via the route command

That's the point at which I get lost, any chance of some more details?

In answer to a previous post, both Internet services are assigned an IP address by the provider, the RV042 is statically assigned an address (192.168.0.1)

If I have just the satellite connected then nothing works.

I thought this pointed to the satellite being faulty, but if I plug that straight into my PC then everything works fine.
This makes me think that the Linksys is not routing the sat connection correctly.
If it works when you plug your laptop to it then the ISP is giving your laptop the public IP address. Do an ipconfig /all when you have the sat connected to your laptop. What is the IP?
However, when you plug it into your Linksys it is giving the external interface an IP of whatever (203.x.x.x for example) however, the Linksys will then have to do some kind of natting to allow your machines behind it to 'share' the public IP. It seems to be doing this fine for the cable connection.

theravager is right about the gateway and the 2 nics. If you give us info on why you have two nics in the server, maybe we can help with how it should be set up.

Try here:

Ok,

Thanks for the responses so far and apologies for the delay in replying, unfortunately I've had no Internet connection for the last 5 days.

The server was supplied with 2 onboard nics, hence the chap that set the Internet up used both - I was always under the impression that the Internet plugged straight into the network switch.

I've now changed the lan IP address of the RV042 router so the situation is now thus:

Nic 1 (connected to the network switch)

IP address 192.168.1.100 (static)
s/net 255.255.255.0
d/g 192.168.1.100
dns 192.168.1.100

Nic 2 (connected to the RV042)

IP address 192.168.0.2 (static)
s/net 255.255.255.0
d/g 192.168.0.5
dns 192.168.1.100

The RV042 has a lan IP of 192.168.0.5

Workstation IP assignment is taken care of by the server and is in the 192.168.1.* range
however, workstations come up with a default gateway address of 192.168.1.1 for some reason?

I'm in the mire here and could do with some help!!

OK, I've done that, it's stopped the warnings popping up about multiple gateways not working correctly.

Still can't ping external websites though, although dns resolves the website names to the correct IP address

Internet does work now though!

OK, now let's get to the big picture.
Your network design isn't the best.
There really is no reason all internet traffic should be routed through the server (unless it's a proxy server).

If I were you, I would just put everything on 1 subnet, disable the second NIC in the server (or use it for teaming), and set all default gateways to the router.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

As an aside the Internet connection only worked for 15 minutes then DNS stopped resolving and the Internet died until I reset the satellite router - I'm assuming that I have a DNS issue on the server as well?

As to your other points, they confirm what I thought was MS best practise.

The system was set up by someone with even less knowledge than me! and I think he used the 2 nics as the satellite Internet system that we have uses the 192.168.0.* address range and our network uses 192.168.1.*

Therefore, what do I need to do to get this to work correctly.
Plug the server directly into the switch
plug the satellite router directly into the switch
configure nic 1 with the following

IP 192.168.1.100
snet 255.255.255.0
d/g
dns server

should the default gateway be the ip address of the satellite router 192.168.0.1
and should the dns be 192.168.1.100 or 192.168.0.1 or have I got completely the wrong end of the stick?

The other point is that I have a second internet connection and a load balancing router (Linksys RV042) as well - how would a setup work if I wanted to use this device?

Cheers for your help.

Let's start with the LAN...

Put all client devices and server on the same subnet (192.168.1.0 /24)

Server

Server NIC1 config:
IP address [blue]192.168.1.100[/blue]
Subnetmask [blue]255.255.255.0[/blue]
Gateway [blue]192.168.1.1[/blue]
DNS [blue]192.168.1.100[/blue]

Server NIC2 config:
[blue]DISABLED[/blue]

Assuming the server is doing DHCP and DNS,
[blue]Server DNS forwarders configured for your ISPs DNS.[/blue]

DHCP scope config:
IP address [blue]192.168.1.x (101-200 maybe)[/blue]
Gateway [blue]192.168.1.1[/blue]
DNS [blue]192.168.1.100[/blue]

Now for the WAN stuff...

RV042

LAN config:
IP address [blue]192.168.1.1[/blue]

WAN1 (Satelite ISP) config:
[blue]DHCP[/blue]

WAN2 (2nd ISP) config:
[blue]DHCP[/blue]

Satelite Modem/Router
[blue]Bridge mode[/blue]
This will make it act like a modem and pass the public IP from the ISP to your RV042.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Thanks for the above, I'll have a relatively empty office at lunchtime today, so will change the configuration then. (Unfortunately, due to the way that we work down here I'm forced to do everything on a live environment!)

Just need to confirm the cabling now, so:

Server Lan1 to switch or RV042??

Satellite Internet to RV042
Cable Internet to RV042

RV042 to Switch??

Thanks for your help on this, I think I'm nearly there - fairly sure that the problems I'm having at the moment are caused by the fact that there are no DNS forwarders configured on my server.

All devices (including server) connect to switch;
Switch to RV;
RV to both ISPs.

no DNS forwarders can give you headaches.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

Setup changed this lunchtime as per your instructions above....

you sir are a genius of the highest order.

Everything works, just like that!!

I think I jinxed it, connection stayed up for an hour then died again.
No ping response etc.

Connected the laptop straight into the satellite router. All working.

Any further ideas?

Just another update

The Internet goes down, no response from web pages at all, however pings are perfect, DNS resolves instantly and ping times are good but no Internet.

The only way I've found to bring it back up is to power cycle the satellite router.

Any ideas as to what I'm missing here?

First you said "No ping response, etc"
Then "however pings are perfect"

???

Are you pinging a name or an IP address?

What kind of IP address are you getting from the satellite ISP? Public or private?

MCSE CCNA CCDA

At one time or another I had both symptoms above!

the satellite router issues IP addresses dynamically.
When I plug the laptop straight in, it gives me an address of 192.168.0.3 with a default gateway and dns of 192.168.0.1 which is the ip address of the satellite router.

This morning I have come into the office and the connection is still up, I will update this thread with any further findings.

Thanks again for all your help, it really is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back