Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003 reporting Services 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cxtreme404

Technical User
Nov 19, 2008
TT
Can anyone suggest in an ms server 2003 domain environment, whether users can obtain domain login history info and how is it done?

That would be through auditing, and would show up in the event logs. An average user wouldn't have access to that.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

There are applications that check AD for username last log on so the domain. If you want to do it yourself then you have to check last logon on each DC as the user may have authenticated against server x but you check server y (hope you understand me).
There's vbs scripts that can also do this but I didn't really trust them to use for diciplinary action against an employee.

If you are just worried about history of a single server then the event log will show this. But the security event log fills up quickly.

What are you wanting to achieve exactly? Maybe there's another way.

b

Actually in Windows 2003 the lastlogontimestamp attribute is replicated between domain controllers, but it is only replicated once every 14 days.

Administrators typically use a script to find this information from active directory, an example of such a script can be found here;

Or use auditing as 58sniper suggests

Or answer the question that bTkalternate asks and tell us what you need to achieve....

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCITP Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

I actually wrote a logon and logoff script that grabs the date, time, host name, user id, and whether they logged on or logged off and inserts that into a sql database. I put the scripts in the default domain policy so it affects everyone. I then created a couple crystal reports to make it all pretty and useful. The price was right and did what i needed.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back