Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server 2003 migration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazar60

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
EG
i have win2k domain with exchange 2000. the domain is domain.com
i want to migrate the whole forest to win3k enviroment BUT with domain-name domain.net, is it possible?
i want to keep users accounts and password and mail-boxes, public folders... etc.

Thanks
gazar

I'm a little unclear on exactly what you mean concerning the domain names, however the migration should be successful regardless of what domain name suffix you are using.

about the domain names: there is existing domain name which is <companyname.com>.
the company will change its name to <newname.net> so the FHQDN will be changed.
i want to migrate to the new domain in addition upgrade to win3k enviroment.
1: can i do this through one process
2: or shall i upgrade first the enviromen then think about migration to the new domain, any help notes or docs.

Thanks
Gazar

you can use inter-org migration using admt v2 to migrate cross different org (or domain name, you name it).

search admt v2 on MS website, there are enough instructions.

if ever you have a problem, post a thhread, i am more tham happy to help. (i've done lots of migration projects)

thanx benlu,
now after migration to the new org.
the case will be as follow:
-single domain in single forest with 5 sites.
- in site no.1 there will be front end exchange server and forest root domain controller.

- in the rest of sites there will be DC for the existing domain and exchange server for each site.
in my opinion, every DC will have OU's, each OU represent one site or one branch office, and then delegate admin. to each system admin. for his branch office.

now what about the exchange servers??
would each exchange have all mail boxes for all the org, or every exchange will have it's branch office mail boxes only?
and if so, how would i configure the front end server to FW the desired mail to the approtiate exchange server.

Thanks
gazar

for exchange migration, specficially 5.5--->2003, you need to have a solid AD infrstracture prior to migrating Exchange servers.

You have 2 choices:

1. Intra-org, you set up ADC and throw in Exchange 2003 into Exch 5.5 org and use mailbox move, and eveully decommisionn exch 5.5 after a period of co-existance.

2. Inter-org, you also set up ADC(but choose 'this is a inter-org ADC'), build ex2003 with a new org, use exmerge to migrate.

I will suggest 3rd party tools , like Aelita(now Quest), NetIQ to the second option(inter-org), basically, if you have a small medium Exchange envuronment, use option 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back