Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003 DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpeterson

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2005
CA
I am trying to find out domainname.dns file on our internal dns server. It is set to store in active directory. I can find our 10.168.192.in-addr.arpa.dns file no problem under C:\WINDOWS\System32\dns. Any idea how I can manually edit the forward lookup zone file? Thanks

Kyle P

Yea, I am aware that I can do that. I will go into a little more detail on what I am trying to do. I want to block all msn traffic on our domain by adding certain dns entrys for the hostnames that msn connects to and point them to 127.0.0.1. If I do this through the snap in it automatically adds our domain to the edn e.g messenger.hotmail.com.ourdomain.com. I know I can do this on my unix servers and BIND no problem at all. Any ideas?

If your DNS is Active Directory integrated, there will not be a .DNS file on your DNS server.

You will need to create a new zone and then create a records for the specific domain names.

----------------------------
Josh
CCNA, MCSE 2003(in progress)

Thanks for the replies but I ended up just using a Software restriction policy and hashed the programs that I wanted to block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back