Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2003 can not run exe from network shares 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askalon

Technical User
Nov 27, 2006
US
I recently added a new sever running MS Server 2003 w/ SP2 and all updates already applied to our domain. Logged in as the domain administrator (or with an acount with domain admin privledges) I am unable to install applications from a network share (by mapped drive, hostname, or ip addy).

the error reads: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropiate permissions to access the item"

I can install on a different machine going to the smae place with the same credentials just fine so it is not a user permission error. Anyother info you need, just ask.

just for kicks, I removed the machine from the domain. I then mapped a drive using teh same credentials and I could install just fine. I then readded the server, same issue....

Redid all that and verified that the pc name was removed from AD. Same issue....

Im having the same issue.

new server 2003 added to an existing SBS 2003 AD. Can not run .exe over a map.

Have u checked the DEP (data execution protection) settings.. this is one of the features

I found the work around

uninstall windows component Internet Explorer Enhaced Security Configuration
or set the address of server where mapped drive reside on Trusted Sites,

Adding the trusted site did nothing for me, Uninstalling that component worked. You will need to reboot after.

It was set to turn on except for apps listed below, which the box was empty. i changed it to only essential services and still am getting the same error.

Yes, uninstalling the IE Enhanced did the trick. I had added my shares as trusted sites before and that did not work either.

Thanks TopKatz for the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back