Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

server 2000 / xp pro login problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnyo

Technical User
Apr 28, 2003
US
I am running windows 2000 server, nine client with win 98 and one with xp pro. having an issue xp pro locating the server. under the tcp/ip protocal properties if I tell it to obtain an ip automaticaly it finds the internet but not the server and if I enter the isp with the server primary and the internet secondary it finds the network but not the internet. any ideas?

What you should probably do is configure dns on your 2k server. On all workstations make the server the primary dns. Don't bother putting in a secondary unless your want to. It won't be necessary as long as your server is running fine.

Configure your dns to "allow dynamic updates", and set the dns "forewarders" to point at the public (internet) dns servers. On the server open command prompt and type "ipconfig /flushdns". After that completes run "ipconfig /registerdns". Run these same 2 commands on the Xp workstation and you should be fine. These commmands wont run on the 98 machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back