Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2000 will not start- continual reboot after service pack 4 upda 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSummers

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
US
My server is hosed. I did a service pack 4 update and rebooted as directed. Now the system begins to boot, goes through the first black & white page with the progress bar at the bottom- once it finishes, the system reboots. It does this over and over. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

Safe mode will not start and Last Known Good is no good...

It's hard to say. I'm thinking you may have to redo the server but I'm hoping there is a way to fix it without resorting to this method. Hopefully someone can help you out.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

Sorry if this is a cross-forum post, but I'm having exactly the same problems with Windows 2K Pro.
Upgraded from W98, installed new drivers and updated software where recommended by the pre-install Upgrade Report.
Last update was "Ioware" for the Zip 100 drive. Update went OK, then performed requested shutdown. System always reboots at the point you mention. Safe Mode options don't work (still reboots). Any help would be much appreciated.

I would be on the blower to microsoft tech support! let the numpties there sort out thier own mess!

There was also an issue with a recent 2000 update that has caused some problems. It was hanging my 2000 machine @ startup. I uninstalled it through dos and then it worked fine.

Thanks NetworkAdmin123.

I followed your thread and decided to boot from the W2000 CD, then run Fast Repair. I don't know what it repaired/replaced, but I'm up and running!

Thanks again.
Bill.

Hrmm, even though you are up and running I would still try to find out out what happened. It could be a driver issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back