Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Server 2000 setup with DHCP Modum and Hub 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider03

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2004
We have a DSL Modem that feeds a hub. The Hub is a 24 POrt entry hub (3com superstack II) with the Modem connected to port 24. We are using a peer to peer file sharing network and the DSL Modem is suppling all computers with a DHCP number for the internet access to each compter and for the file sharing. I have static IP's on the copiers and printers so everyone can print over the network. On the other side of the router we have a static IP.

I need to install Server 2000 and create a domain network with workgroups to make the network more stable due to the number of computers connected to it (about 10).

I also need to setup a VPN to our office in another town which is using a different IPS. That office has a DCHP supplied by that provider. I will tunnel in from there to the server.

Questions:

1. Can the modem continue to supply the DHCP for the domain network or will I have to set up the Server to supply them.

2. If the server is set to supply them, will the modem still be available to the network users through the hub or will it require a Router.

3. My ISP says they can supply us with a 2nd static IP and route requests to it into our existing IP. From there we will open ports on the server to make that work. I'm not sure how this will work if the server is giving out IP's incase questons NO. 1 is no.

3. Any suggustions or other ways to do this would be greatly appriciated. We are a small company with limited resources so keep that in mind to.

Thanks
Mike

1. Whether the modem remains a dchp server or you set up a windows server to do this, as long as all the PCs and the modem are on the same subnet, you'll be fine.

2. DHCP will give the clients IP addresses and a default gateway. As long as this default gateway is the address of your modem, they wont lose anything... but nothing is forcing you to use windows dhcp if your modem works fine this way...

you have 10 PCs... why do you need to install a windows domain? you say to make things more stable... in what way are things NOT stable right now?
or is it to make the filesharing and permissions aspect easier to manage... which is a valid reason.

Aftertaf

getting quite good at sorting out Windows problems...
An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

We are a engineering company and do mainly cad work on the network. When we open one drawing it also opens as many as 5 other drawings which may be also open. This creates a lot of traffic. We also use design programs and spread sheets which add to the traffic. I suspect we are occationaly crashing a cad session due to several stations saving to the server at the same time.

Also we gave a server computer and Win 2000 Server software which are going to waste using just the 2000 Pro files sharing setup.

Based on your post I should able to continue the DHCP from the modem and set the server up to recieve DHCP and everthing will be ok.

Do I have to enter the modems default gate way on all Work stations and the Server or is the "Set IP to DHCP" enough to make it work.

Love you site. It has the best info and response of any site I've visited on the web. You guys are great.

Thanks,
Mike

We are a engineering company and do mainly cad work on the network. When we open one drawing it also opens as many as 5 other drawings which may be also open. This creates a lot of traffic. We also use design programs and spread sheets which add to the traffic. I suspect we are occationaly crashing a cad session due to several stations saving to the server at the same time.

Also we would like to set up a private domain for Accounting and for maybe Management.

Also we gave a server computer and Win 2000 Server software which are going to waste using just the 2000 Pro files sharing setup.

Based on your post I should able to continue the DHCP from the modem and set the server up to recieve DHCP and everthing will be ok.

Do I have to enter the modems default gate way on all Work stations and the Server or is the "Set IP to DHCP" enough to make it work.

Love you site. It has the best info and response of any site I've visited on the web. You guys are great.

Thanks,
Mike

I should able to continue the DHCP from the modem and set the server up to recieve DHCP and everthing will be ok

its better to give a fixed IP address to a server..
if you want to make it a domain controller, you have no choice...
What you can do is reduce your dhcp scope range, and give the X.X.X.1 address to the server.
add its mask and default gateway manually, the rest will continue to work fine.

What you set up in DHCP on your router will be transmitted to the clients when they get an address.
You should have the router's internal IP address as the default gateway in your dhcp settings on the router and this info will be given to all dhcp clients.
if you are going to set up a win 2000 domain, you will have DNS... so the X.X.X.1 IP address that you will have given to your server will also be the DNS Server address to give to your workstations (via DHCP options).
If your router doesn't let you specify these details, either you put them in PC by PC manually, or you use DHCP on your w2K server instead.

search this forum for active directory installation, check out the FAQs, i agree there is a lot of good info and good people on this site... and if you dont find what you need or you get stuck etc... ask us :)

Aftertaf

An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

Also we would like to set up a private domain for Accounting and for maybe Management.

what are the privacy and security needs for these departments?? you might not need separate domains for each, which would be better because this means more overhead, more spending and more administration!! - plus at least 1 separate server per domain!!
let us know what these needs are for these depts, and we'll se if there isn't an easier way...
David

Aftertaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back