Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial to Ethernet Adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

quazimotto

Programmer
Mar 29, 2008
US
Greetings All! Who makes a serial to ethernet adapter that works with the Legend/Magix systems and doesn't cost a ton?

Thanx/Quaz

Lantronix stuff works great (like uds-10 or uds-100). They are like $50~$100 via ebay.

-CL

Digi-One SP is the one I have used @ over 50 locations. Easy to setup and use.

43 years in the business and counting.

Could you send the config for the Admin Port on a Magix, please?

Hardware hook-up:
RJ45 patch cord from administration port to 355AF adapter – 355AF to 25 to 9 pin adapter – 9 pin to Digi-One – finally Digi-One to Ethernet lan.

Installation of Digi-One is simple, it assigns an IP address to the Digi-one and makes a new Com-port on your PC, that is actually an Ethernet connection.
Now when you use WINSPM in your site set-up Direct, use the com-port to match the new one created during the Digi-One software installation.
Works great and very low cost.

memphisribs,

Thanx for the tip.

Thanx to all .

Quaz

Quaz,

If you're the do-it-yourself type....

Got to the FAQ button at the top of this forum and find:

Make your own 355 from Ethernet cable faq689-6530

This will tell you how to wire one up. I used a Radio Shack 276-1538 D-Sub and a 276-1513 Hood (cover) and ~8 feet of regular cat5 cable. I used the faq for the pinouts. You do have to bridge three of the D-Sub's pins but I just used some stripped cat5 wire for that. Solder them up and it works a champ.

If you're used to wiring up cat5 connections and you're handy with a soldering iron you should have no problems.

However do be careful, according to a few posts I saw if you wire it wrong you'll blow out your serial port on the PC. And always make sure it's plugged into the correct port on the processor!

I use it to access our Merlin Magix and also used it to initially set up Merlin Messaging through hyper terminal to assign an IP address so I could access it from the LAN and then swapped the Messaging board to the ethernet port with a real cat5 cable and put the home-brew cable back in the Merlin processor port.

Works perfectly!
Good luck!
Ken

MemphisRibs,

I just got my Digi-One Sp. I hooked it up as instructed by you and manual. It gets stuck. Gives me an error message after attempting to load software. DO you have to change any dip switchs before attempting? Is the admin port RS-232 or RS-422?

Thanx/Quaz

The admin port on the Merlin is RS232 2400BPS 8,1 & none.
DIP settings from factory should be good. If your having trouble installing the driver, using the setup wizard, suggest you contact DIGI for support. Use the Incoming connection in the wizard.
You must be able to ping the Digi-one on your network connection in order to use it. Good Luck

MemphisRibs,

Thanx, I finally got it. Works like a charm. I appreciate the tip.How do you access the unit remotely?

Quaz

Great, glad to see you are up and running. For remote access to the device, you must connect via a WAN or VPN etc.
Remember this is just an ethernet connection. So however you can get your PC to connect to the LAN the Digi is on will work.
Of course the standard processor modem & remote access are always available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back