Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial Port Connector 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GnomeBoy

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2001
US
Hey all you Cisco Gurus, i need your help i lost my Terminal Adapter and can't figure out the pinouts for making a new connector. What i need is the schmatic for consttructing a new RJ45 to DB9 adapter. Any help will be appreciated.

GnomeBoy

DESCRIPTION NAME Direction D25 D9 RJ45

Transmit Data TD OUT 2 3 5
Receive Data RD IN 3 2 6
Request to Send RTS OUT 4 7 8
Clear to Send CTS IN 5 8 7
Data St Ready DSR IN 6 6 1
Signal Ground SG 7 5 4
Data Carrier Detect DCD IN 8 1 2
Data Terminal Ready DTR OUT 20 4 3
Frank.

9 Pin

1 Receive
2 Ground
3 +5V1
4 Ground
5 Transmit
6 Receive
7 Ground
8 Ground
9 Transmit

I see this request is from June, I sure hope this person found the answer before now. But, since there seems to be conflicting information, I'll be sure to throw mine in.

I grabbed the cisco blue 8 pin modular cable (which is reversed like a phone cable) and the matching 74-0495-01 TERMINAL DB9 Female to modular 8 pin adapter from the truck and here is what I found:

Opening up the modular adapter and physically tracing each wire, here is how it is made up:

DB9F Pin - Wire Color - 8 pin jack

1 - No Connection
2 - yellow - pin 6
3 - black - pin 3
4 - orange - pin 2
5 - green+red - pins 4 and 5
6 - brown - pin 7
7 - blue - pin 1
8 - white - pin 8
9 - No Connection

Now that is the combination you need IF you are going to make another DB9F to modular adapter.

To take it one step further, I plugged in the modular cable and checked pin for pin, so if you were to make up a dedicated cisco terminal cable, these are the pins on the rear of the cisco unit and their associated DB9F pin.

Modular
Jack on
Rear Panel DB9 Female

1 --------------- 8
2 --------------- 6
3 --------------- 2
4 --------------- 5
5 --------------- 5
6 --------------- 3
7 --------------- 4
8 --------------- 7

From this, we can glean the following information about the back panel modular CONSOLE jack on the cisco:

Pin 1 - RTS
Pin 2 - DTR
Pin 3 - TX
Pin 4 - Ground
Pin 5 - Ground
Pin 6 - RX
Pin 7 - DSR
Pin 8 - CTS

Good Luck!
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Hello,
I have cable internet right now with a linksys router. Also I have a CIsco 2524 router I'd like to hook up to my cox cable modem. Thing is I have no serial modules in the back of my router. Where would I find one of these, and would I also need a adapter to connect to rj45?

Thanks Joe Another Child of God

What is the db9 wiring for a fibre channel hba t-card dual port look like? I have one port running at 1Gbyte sec. . I want to figure out how to wire the second port so I access the drives from a second p.c. host bus adapter on the second port. using sca40's on the fibre channel drives t-cards. I have 2 different t-cards and am looking at making my own using schematics and parts as I have quite a few drives to hook up and am on low budget. I checked out overclockers, etc. and they have pictures, schematics, etc. but I would like to post the projects when done so others can use them. Jesus and GOD Bless! amateur christian web publisher and used computer equipment sales/service, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back