Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

serial port connection for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajohnso

ISP
Aug 8, 2003
US
I'm trying to use the PC software to program my NEC 192 Elite. I've tried all the serial ports with and without null modem cables and nothing. I dont appear to have the modem as described either. What card do I need to add to the system to enable programming from my PC? We recently upgraded the processor and added an expansion cabinet to add a T1 to the system so I thought it was already in there.

Depending on the system, you need a MIF card installed in the system to use the programming terminal.
Make sure that you have the correct pinouts on your serial cable.
Hope ths helps,
Jim

Does that have to go in a particular slot (main or expansion cabinet?) Do you know the part number so I can order one? Thanks for the post.

also, is programming the system much easier with the PC or is it all the same process just on a screen?

You will need a MIF(M)-U10 or 20. The cards you are looking at are for the NEC Electra Professional.

Dajohnson,

Many questions, some answers.
Generally speaking, the MIF card goes in the 2nd slot from the left.
Leave this slot blank if you can for a MIF card.
The programming is easier from the pC, but some techs know the phone programming and can get around in it. But they can't back up the program without it.
The elite has a programming file of it's own, so you would need that.
A MIF A card will work as well. It is more expensive than the M, but it will work. You can hot swap this card and take it with you when you are done. It does not need to remain in the switch UNLESS you are using the specific feature that require a Mif card.
I think that MIF F card is the new one, but can't say for sure.

To do PC programming and backup of the Elite 48, 192, IPK you will need the SAT software of at least or higher rev than the rev of your switch. your system will need a:

MIFM Uxx
SPE- Uxx

the MIFM or SPE can be installed in the AP slot or the first S slot. If the MIF-m or SPEcard is in the AP slot you can not use the built in modem on the SPE or the MDM modem for programming.

The MIFA is not supported by NEC for any programming it is for UCD, and ACD applications only.

The MIF-Fw as the programming card for the older Electra Level 2, and 120's

ok, thanks. I just bought the SAT software a month ago. Now I need to find a MIF card.

Just a heads up about the SAT program and Elite 192:

When restoring the program- all data may appear to be correct but won't necessarily function.

Back when I had access to NEC support, they advised reprogramming by phone even though data shows there. I had to do this to overwrite the same info restored by SAT and then it would work.

Special care needs to be taken regarding CAP keys since it seems if there is one wrong entry all phones may not work.

Good luck Da.

kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back