Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial number of CD ROM (audio) disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertv100

Programmer
Apr 27, 2000
BE
How can I get the serial number of a CD ROM disc? I need it to make a library of name,title,... of audio tracks on a cd.<br>It seems there are some serious programmers in this forum, I hope there is one who knows someting about registers becouse I know DOS interrupt 21h needs to be called with register AL=69h and AH=00h (to get serial) or AH=01h (to set serial). I only need to get the serial number but I don't know how or where the numbers are returned.<br>Note: I work in Turbo Pascal and assembler language can be implemented but please be clear in any answer(s) because I don't know anything of assembler, I just use it :) <p>Bert Vingerhoets<br><a href=mailto:vingerhoetsbert@hotmail.com>vingerhoetsbert@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have never had any luck retrieving information from CDs using the DOS or BIOS interrupts. CD-ROMS are dependent on device drivers.<br><br>The question begs an answer and I am as eager as any to hear it. Do any of the Gurus have an answer? <p> <br><a href=mailto:InterruptX@excite.com>InterruptX@excite.com</a><br><a href= Contingency Implementation</a><br>Send me suggestions or comments on my current software project.

I've solved that problem ages ago, Aphrodita!

For those who still want to know ... I used the routine to get the serial from a diskette and it works just fine.

Regards,

Bert Vingerhoets
vingerhoetsbert@hotmail.com
Don't worry what people think about you. They're too busy wondering what you think about them.

INT 21h
Function 69h
Get/Set Disk Sierial Number
--------------------------------
Input:

Ah = 69h
Al = subfunction
00h = get sierial number
01h = set serial number
Bl = drive (0 = default, 1=A,2=b,etc)
DS:DX = segment:eek:ffset disk serial number buffer ; If Al = 00h, you want whats here!

Output:
CF = 0 Successful
AX = destroyed
Al = 00h Buffer filled with value from extended DPB
01h extended DPB on Disk set to values from buffer
CF = 1 Unsuccessful
AX = Error Code
01h = function number invalid
05h = access denied

Hope this helps ya :)

That date mentioned in the right upper corner of a thread does mean something, you know ;)

Regards,
Bert Vingerhoets
Don't worry what people think about you. They're too busy wondering what you think about them.

yes...and telling NEW readers that YOU solved the problems ages ago does nothing for them :)

No, but then they can ask again since they know that someone has solved the problem, and by asking it again someone else can mention another approach. If I put the code in here everybody who needs it just copy-pastes it and blames me if doesn't work properly.
AND IT DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY INDEED, I remember one of the characters depended on the CD ROM drive or something, anyway it didn't depend on the CD, that's for sure.
Regards,
Bert Vingerhoets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back