Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial Mouse on PS/2 Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg013

MIS
Dec 10, 2001
US
I have a second computer accessible through a KVM (keyboard/video/mouse) switch. The older computer does not have PS/2 ports. Has anyone successfully used a PS/2 mouse with a serial adapter/converter? The computer was setup with the serial mouse and booted fine. With the serial-to-PS/2 converter, it no longer recognizes the mouse. I've tried re-installing the serial driver. I've also tried installing a PS/2 driver, but it's trying to assign an IRQ to the device, which is not technically present. Any suggestions?

The PS2/Serial 'converter' only reroutes the pins. The mouse firmware actually detects if it's connected to a serial or PS2 port. The KVM isn't smart enough to do that either.
To get your KVM to work, all your PCs have to use either PS2 or serial mouse.
You may be stuck using separate mice for each PC.
OTOH, have you tried VNC, it's a (free!) remote control software that works under Windows, Linux etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back