Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial/Lot required on selective items

Status
Not open for further replies.

srmEDI

Technical User
May 31, 2010
US
Progression 7.7.400 Is Serial/Lot usage set at the company level or at the I/M level? Can it be set for a selective set of items?

This may be a little confusing, so bear with me........

We have two (2) separate companies. One company sells items that have Serial/Lot information. However, the other does not. We sell some of these items across companies, meaning that if a customer orders the items in company 1 (that does not use serial/ lot) we have to then manually create a sales order in company 2 in a manner similar to a drop ship, and then bill company 1. We do this to be able to capture the serial/lot information. I was looking for a better alternative, and ran across some info regarding O/E driven P/O processing. Obviously, I was intrigued. But, the question remains, if we do this in a manner that uses this type of process, can we caputre the serial/lot in company 1?

The serial/lot flag is on the item master, so it is an item by item selection. There is O/E to PO processing, but it won't create orders across databases. I am not really clear n what you are trying to accomplish.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

dgillz,
I am looking to create an EDI process across companies. I am well aware that Progression cannot create orders across databases, but need to automate the cross company ordering process.

basically, we receive a po via edi from a customer in company 1. based on the sales order items, company 1 generates a drop ship 850 po for company 2. Company 2 receives the po, generates an sales order, ships the mdse, and then creates an 810 invoice for Company 1. Currently, we are manually doing this. But as business grows this method will not be sustainable.

I don't know if that explanation helps at all, and if you have any better ideas please let me know.

Thanks.

SrmEDI

Which EDI system are you using Gentran or DataMason? If Gentran is it possible to send 850 and receive 810. I have created several outbound documents (850, 940, 830, etc) for Gentran. I have also done inbound 945, 210, 110, 810, etc. So, I know this is possible.

Basically, you need to create the flat file in TDF format and have an import template to integrate into Gentran.

If you are using DataMason, I know you can purchase Supply Side transaction integration. You can also do a non EDI solution using SQL, Event Manager, and Program enhancements to achieve the same goal.

I would need to write a novel to explain the details of each solution and what you must do. I know Dgillz and he knows how to reach me.

Nick
PlatinumEdgegroup

Nick,
We are using ExactEDI from DataMasons. A lifetime ago, I completed this same process using Genrtan server. The process itself is not overly complicated.

Initially, what I was looking to acomplish was a process in which we could set the items company 1 purchases from company 2 to have serial/lot information. However, it appears that company 1 did not ever set that functionality up; and that selection is greyed out in I/M Item Master in Progression. That is why we create drop ship orders in company 2 for that customer.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back