Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial connection between two Red Hat 8.0 boxes? Minicom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldenradium2001

Technical User
Mar 22, 2002
US
I'm wondering if I can connect my two Red Hat 8.0 boxes through a serial connection?

And how? Thanks in advance.

My first question is WHY?
In answering that question, it may be possible to find other avenues of connecting them (e.g. NIC to NIC).
At any rate, if you must go serial, you can do a variety of things. The easiest thing that comes to mind is running PPPD on one and using the PPP client on the other... that way you get some sort of TCP/IP connectivety.
I'm assuming you're doing this straight through the serial ports with one cable, correct?
"The reward of patience is patience"
-St. Augustine

Well, I'm trying to simulate a headless server with my other Red Hat 8.0 box. Let's assume that my box is racked and my only option (meaning no access server was setup) was to directly serial into the box. Assume that also this server does not have any ports for monitors or keyboards. It's pretty much a pizza box.

If I connected them NIC to NIC, then if for some reason the IP configuration was wrong and I couldn't telnet to it to fix the problem, how am I able to get into the system? This is when a serial connection becomes valuable.

I don't want to serial using modems. I just want to use a modular adapter from one serial port to another modular adapter to another serial port. Any help?

I was able to establish a serial connection between my Sun box and my Red Hat 8.0 box. But don't know how to set it up on a Red Hat 8.0 box.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You can use agetty to do that:

/sbin/agetty -L 9600 ttyS0

See man agetty for more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back