Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Serial ATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deezul

IS-IT--Management
Jun 23, 2003
US
board: Intel D865Perl onboard sata
main drive:160GB Maxtor on PCI ata133 controller(maxtor/promise),
Aux drives: 80gb maxtor with rockethead 100 parallel to serial converter, 80gb maxtor with rockethead 100 also
Onboard ide0=dvd
onboard ide1=burner
Problem: When I hook up all 3 hd's the PC wont boot . If i hook up even 1 sata drive it won't boot. If i unhook the 160gb drive it will boot........I tried all kinds of jumper settings and am at my wits end.....maybe i'll ditch sata!!

Need to get a little more information from you before I can help at all. First off, do you have a drive with an installed OS so you can get this machine booted?

yes 160gb has XP Home on it. ALll drivers updated and installed.

I would LIKe to run the 160 on the ata133 controller and 2 80's on the sata controllers

Cool. Unhook the 80s for right now. Get the machine booted and on the internet, and download the latest BIOS / firmware for your board and controller cards. I've seen that incompatibility before, and in about 90% of the cases, that takes care of it. Repost if you've still got troubles, and I'll see what else I can come up with for you.

-J

there is a new SATA driver available. but at Intel's site it says i need a password to download it through M$ .....well I called Intel and they say i need to send email to their(intel) support to get the password. Its been 2 days and nothing! Do you think there'd be an update for my ultra 133 card? i think the sata driver might help but I am stuck as to how to obtain it. The mobo has the newest bios....

Do you have an FTP proggy, they will let you have the files that way.
Intel...ftp.intel.com....port 21....user/pw....annon
M$.....ftp.microsoft.com....port21....user/pw annon
This should let you get your drivers as I just tried connecting to both and was able to access drivers on both sites.

Check on the manufacturer's web site for a new version of the firmware for your ultra 133 card. Older versions of the firmware for most of those cards did not support drive sizes larger than 120GB.

the pc133 card came bundled with the maxtor. I'll try the ftp but I believe intel is just linking to microsoft and they require the password for this file......I STILL haven't heard about getting the password. So much for "2 business days"!

I have a BH7 Abit mobo. The primary master is a 120gb Maxtor drive. I am trying to use the onboard sata and connect it through a serillel adapter to a removable promise HDD caddy with a 1gb seagate drive in it. Win2K took forever to boot up and when it did, there was no sign of the 1gb drive. Can anyone help?

It's important in life to always strike a happy medium, so if you see someone with a crystal ball, and a smile on their face ...

PaulTEG, you may want to start a new thread, as often asking a question in someone else's will not get noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back