Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sequential numbering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonCooper

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2001
GB
HELP !!

I've written a little script that runs every 15 minutes to check a directory on a remote server and ftp any files found to a directory on our Unix server. The script then adds a suffix of .ddmmHHMM to each file.
The user would like this suffix to be a sequential number, preferably padded to 8 digits.

The files may be on our server for sometime so the sequential number would need constantly increase.

ANY help / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Can't you simply write the sequence ID to a file on your server read it, use it, then re-write the file after incrementing it?

William
Software Engineer
ICQ No. 56047340

That's very simple and what I was thinking of doing BUT how do you the the increment bit !!??

Cheers

In your shell script just use

x=$(($x)) to convert to an int then

let x += 1

or x += 1 depending on your shell.

William
Software Engineer
ICQ No. 56047340

Thats great, thanks very much William.
Don't know why I hadn't worked that out myself !!

Cheers

In the Korn shell, you can just do this...
[tt]
(( X += 1 ))
[/tt]
A very C like syntax.

Hope this helps.

Also, if you want your number zero filled to 8 characters, do the following (also Korn shell)...
[tt]
typeset -Z8 NUM=$(<~/.lastnum.dat)

(( NUM += 1 ))

print ${NUM} > ~/.lastnum.dat

export FILENAME=myfile.${NUM}
[/tt]
This also saves the lastnumber and creates a variable for the file name.

Hope this helps.

I'm gonna be a real pain now !!

I'm trying to call the following script from within a standard shell script.
The script fails when run using cron but completes OK running from the command line.

Any ideas ?

£!/bin/ksh
echo 'EXPORT - rename process for file: '$FILE
typeset -Z8 EXP_NUM=$(< /home/ohd/aci/exp_lastnumber)

(( EXP_NUM += 1 ))

print ${EXP_NUM} > /home/ohd/aci/exp_lastnumber

export FILENAME=number.${EXP_NUM}

mv $FILE $FILE'.'$EXP_NUM

jason, thanks for letting us know. Something to do with cron's environment (or rather the lack of it!)?

SamBones.. thanks for letting us know the typeset -Z8 information... will be very useful for something I got going on...

Thanks again.

No problem. Glad to share, that's why I'm here!

[tt]typeset[/tt] is a great one to learn. It can let you do a lot of cool things.

I learned about [tt]typeset[/tt] from The Korn Shell by Anatole Olczak. It's a GREAT book on Korn shell programming and covers a lot of very cool Korn shell features that most people don't seem to know about. Things that give you a lot more power to put into your scripts. You can write some very cool apps using just Korn shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.