Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sequences

Status
Not open for further replies.

engdict

Programmer
Jan 8, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm not sure if sequences were a feature in 8i (it is 9i), but I thought maybe someone would know anyway.

The default size of the block of sequences held in the cache is 20. Does any anyone know if this is 20 *bytes*?

TIA

engdict,

The value of 20 refers to the amount of sequence numbers held in the cache.
If you create a sequence with cache 20 the instance will "buffer" the first 20 numbers in memory. If you shutdown the instance and bring it back on line, whether you've actually used those cached sequence numbers or not, the instance will cache another 20 sequence numbers starting at 21. So unless otherwise coded, you stand a chance of having gaps in you sequence generation.

flstffatboy

And they've been a feature in Oracle since at least version 7.

flstffatboy,
You ALWAYS run the risk of gaps in sequences (hundreds of reasons why). Sequences provide an integer that is (a) UNIQUE (b) INCREASING (mathematicians call this monotonically increasing). There is a long thread about this on asktom.oracle.com DaPi - no silver bullet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back