Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seperating voice and data traffice with remote phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgassner2

Technical User
Sep 19, 2003
US
Hello eveybody

I didn't see this problem looking through the forums so if anybody can shed some light on this it would be great. Here at our home office we current have all of the voice and data traffic on the same VLAN. Unfortunately, all of the broadcast the phones are sending out is constantly degrading our network performance. We were able to sperate the voice and data traffic without any problems at the office. However, the remote site was a different story. We could call out to the phones at the remote site but, they could not answer nor make any calls out.

Our setup for the remote site is just a simple gre tunnel going from our firewall to the remote router. I had checked over everything and could not see anything blocking or being routed to the wrong place. If you have any suggestions that would be great.

Sounds like half duplex.
What do you have at the remote? switch, phones, router maybe a chassis
What type of connection?

Well, at the remote site we have a 5012 router connected to a 3com baseline switch and 5 3101 Basic phones out there. As for the connection it is a simple T1 line. I don't think the equipment has anything to do with it. What we did is created two seperate VLANs; one for voice and one for data. On the voice VLAN, we tagged the traffic for all of the phones. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that the VLAN tagging is causing any problems since the firewall should strip off any tagging before sending it out to the Internet.

By the way, I forgot to mention that here at the office the tunnel drops on a Tipping Point X505 Firewall. I had opened up everything on the firewall and still nothing went through. So if you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back