Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Seperating Scenes/Clips in Premier 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdlow55

Vendor
Apr 15, 2001
GB
Ok I am stuck at the begining of Prem 6. I am trying to get Prem 6 to seperate my 30 min vid into scenes/clips. Can it do it and if so how? thanks in anticipation of getting into it to do some editing

cheers Gordon

Premier will not do auto-scene detection(example Pinnacle capture software). You can use batch capture or just capture as much video as possible using movie capture and then use the razor tool to cut it into workable scenes.

Thanks for the reply, I have been trying to use batch capture but it does not seam to recognise my camera....any tips cheers Gordon

3.99 GB limitition. Anytime I try to capture or preview or export, I can not capture more than 3.99 GB of video. I can not export more than 3.99 GB of video. I have 1GHz processor, 512MB RAM, 60GB Hard Drive with 45GB free. I am using Adaptec DV Card, but that should not affect 3.99GB limitation with exporting to HD. I am using Premiere 6.0.

I have the same problem with Videowave as well.

Thank-you in advance.

The problem with the 3.99GB limitation does not lie with the video editing software, it resides in the operating system. Chances are your hard drive is partioned using FAT32 which has a file size limitation of 3.99GB (or roughly 18 minutes of video). However, Windows2000 using the NTFS file structure does not have this problem. I believe the maximum file size on an NTFS drive is 2 terabytes. I would also suggest that you have a system with 2 hard drives in it. One dedicated for the operating system and the other dedicated to video editing. This will increase performance and all but eliminate the possibility of losing frames. And, if you have some money to spare you can purchase an ATA/100 IDE RAID kit and configure both hard drives to run in RAID 0 mode. This will combine both drives into a single hard drive "striping" the data between them. This will in effect double the speed at which you read and write data. However, I do only recommend using the RAID 0 solution if your system runs Windows2000 with the NTFS file structure. This is what I have done and have been extremely satisfied.

I have seen references to freeware/shareware program but have not tried it. Go to Reportedly, this will break an avi file up into clips automatically. When I get the time, I was going to try this myself. Let us know how it goes if you test it out first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back