Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separation from Power Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyRCDD

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2004
US
Can anyone provide a source or weblink for standards info on the separation of low voltage cabling from electrical power circuits/cables? Thanks for any info.

Actually the NEC has very little on that, especially if the question is regarding standards.
The NEC does mandate 2" minimum separation unless divided by a physical barrier.
The standards no longer state specific measurements.
The measure,ments use to be in TIA 569. You might find them in BICSI manuals, which I don't happen to have handy at the moment.
If you still need more info, let me know, I will try to find the old numbers, which are still good guidelines.

Richard S. Anderson, RCDD

There was almost nothing in the NEC 2002. I spoke to Dick Dunfee at BICSI and he didn't mention anything in the design manuals (CO-OSP). I saw nothing in the TDMMs. I have a 1.5 megawatt generator being installed and want to identify a minimum safe distance from copper entrance cables within metallic 4" conduits.

Thanks for any help.

What is the design you are asking about? Low voltage in one 4" conduit and What voltage in the other?

The generator is being installed adjacent to the conduits. need a standard for min. safe distance.

Mike Maselli, RCDD

The TIA/EIA/569-A Commercial Buildings Standards for telecommunications pathways and spaces refers to 10.3 (horizontal pathway separation from EMI sources). Article 800-52 of ANSI/NFPA 70 Reference D.3 shall be applied.

Hope this helps.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

I need to know the distance separation requirements for a 1.5 megawatt generator from metallic telecom conduits. Please help.

Mike Maselli, RCDD

Well I guess I don't completely understand what you are struggling with.

You have 4" metal conduit with entrance cable in them? The entrance cable is likely shielded as well if it is PE-89 or similar.

What is the safety factor you are concerned with? The proxmity of the generator itself to your metal conduit? The proximity of other metal conduit carrying power to your communications conduits?

It's not real clear from your description what you are looking for.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

The distance should be minimum 12" from the primary electrical conduits in the duct bank. In the last project I was involved in ( a couple years ago in a campus environment) the telco (Verizon) spec was 24" spacing for their conduit from the primary electrical conduits.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back