Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

separating CPU and heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmorales

Instructor
Oct 18, 2002
US
I have a gatewat computer. The CPU just went. I wnat to replace the CPU, however the heat sink and CPU are one part or so its seems. how can i separate it?

Start with a razor blade between them and cam them apart.
The heat sink compound has become hardened glue.
Clean the heatsink and put spread a dab of heatsink compound on the new CPU so you get a very thin 100% coverage.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thermaltake recommends using a hair dryer to heat up the heatsink to help it release from the CPU. Haven't tried that, though.

Jim

Put the heatsink and the cpu in front of a heater and tada! It worked. Thanks for the hairdryer idea.

Make sure you clean all the old paste off the heatsink before you use it. Alcohol works for this and as Ed says only use a very thin layer of paste, as thin as you can get it while still getting full coverage..

Help us to help you, please post back and tell us if this helped.
All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back