Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separated PDFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessa

Technical User
Jan 25, 2005
US
How do I make separated PDFs directly from Indesign? I've been printing postscript files that are separated and running them thru Distiller, but I'd really like to go the direct route if possible.

You can setup under [/b]File>Print Presets[/b] make you own, with all the setting you want, and instead of going to Postscript select Acrobat 7 which send it straight to a PDF.

So when you want to make a seperated PDF click File>Print Presets>New Preset then Taaa Daaa.

I would only export if you are making a composite PDF otherwise you can't set your colour angles etc.

Marcus

I don't have an option of Acrobat 7. Oh, I have Acrobat 5, did it not have that feature in 5?

MArcus is referring to the virtual PDF printer that is installed with the full version of Acrobat. Acrobat 5 should have given you the option of a virtual printer as well.

I don't have virtual printer listed. How would I find it and install it so it shows up in my print list?

The virtual printer is only for OS 9 - even on Adobe's site. Do I need to upgrade to 7 to be able to separate PDFs without going through Distiller (which is also only for OS 9)?

Version 6 was the first OSX version of Acrobat so if you want OSX native, then yes, you should upgrade.

The issue of creating a separated PDF seems odd though. You should create a composite PDF from InDesign. Printers using a PDF workflow have software that will separate the inks. You can easily print separations from Acrobat 6 and 7 Professional.

Yeah, they're stupid. The printer insists that I send separated files. Last month I sent a Pantone plate and didn't convert it to black, I left it in green, and they made me convert it and resend. I really don't get it. They have direct to plate press and a pre-press/graphics person on staff.

What should I say to them? I don't work in that end, so I don't know what software they should have. Is it Pitstop that does the separating? Or is it part of the press?

In Acrobat 6 - and I'm sure 7 - you go to Print and select the right PPD. Then you click on Advanced and teh whole print thing is there. Output to separations (or other), screening, rasterization, etc.

On the Advanced menu there is also separation preview.

Basically, you've got a printer who is having you do his work and taks any blame. So if a Pantone solid blue comes out purple he can blame you. Also, what version of Acrobat does the pronter have? He might be too scheap to upgrade.

It would probably be easier to upgrade to 7 so that you're not messing witht he OSX/Classic thing, but 7 is not going to give you any better better result than printing psotscript separations and distilling.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back