Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separate W2K AD on NT4 network possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevd

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2000
GB
Is it possible to put a Windows 2000 ADon a network that is NT4, so that the NT4 domain users can use some of the resources of the W2K servers that are part of the AD? I kind of figure that as long as there is no DHCP running on the AD, which would interfere with DHCP on the NT4 side this should be OK, but I'm not sure of any other complications that may arise.

Thanks in advance.

The domain controller model for active directory makes all domain controllers equal in importance even though you may assign some roles (global catalog/infrastructure) to specific servers. NT domain controllers can function on the active directory model in the same domain but you must upgrade the PDC first. You can later upgrade the BDCs at your own pace. You will be operating in MIXED mode until all the servers are Win2K active directory. The BDCs are fully capable of multi-master replication but the advanced grouping such as group members in different domains and nested groups won't exist until you switch over to native mode. If you're concerned about the implementation why not get some cheap pcs running and do a test first until you are comfortable with the process. You can't switch back from native mode to mixed without a reinstall of Active Directory. When I converted over I used new hardware and migrated logins because I was suspicious about AD delivering on the promises. But I love it now.

Thanks, Gary

you can set up a seperate WIn2K AD domain next to your NT4 domain, and by creating a transitive trust, you can share resource amongst both domain users... Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Did this post help ? Click below to let me know ;-)

Thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back