Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separate servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesil69

MIS
Oct 12, 2004
CA
Hi,

I would like to know for a small firm of about 16-20 employees, would one need to have separate file and email servers? Or could one simply use one server as both? In any case, could you please tell me the reasons as to why one would favor one over the other.

Thank you,
joesil69

16-20 people is going to take very little server load really, im pretty sure you could run all of it off one computer with decent enough specs.
Say a 2ghz P4, 1gb RAM, 2X120GB SATA Drives
But definately you could run a file and print, email server on one box easily, get something like microsoft small business programs

CF Reference
The links of my knowledge

I agree with that. Providing this is just a file and mail server a single server such as an HP (Compaq) ProLiant ML350 running MS Small Business Server would be more than sufficient for 20-users.

However, if you are going to run any databases in the future, then go for the ML370 which could be 'beefed up' to handle a heavier workload.

Please take this as just a guide: you really need someone who knows your needs to assess this fully. If you have requirements such as remote workers (who may need Terminal Services and VPN), Email filtering, collaboration and a whole load of other services, then 2 servers may be a better solution. You cannot split Small Business Server components, so it is important to get this right from the start or you may end up spening more than you should.

Regards: tf1

If you do not need Terminal Serives or VPN you may be able to go with linux as your server software. Depends if you want to use microsoft exchange or not. If you don't linux would be more then enough. For print and file sharing and basic email services, linux is not that diffcult to setup and may give you better performance for your hardware dollar. Something to think about. The software is free so you could try it out and if it doesn't work purchase microsoft server software.

I'll play devils advocate here. First, how much email goes thru your system? Is it internal email only or does you allow external email to come in?

Second, have you given any thoughts to future expansion? If you anticipate fairly rapid growth, you may want to use seperate sedrvers.

Thrid. performance. What kind of files are you hostinf? What about databases? If your running a large db, you may want to off load tables/backups onto different servers. Then there is the questions of performance and relaibilty. What do you plan on doing when your one server goes down with a hardware failure? With 2 or more servers, you can at least minimize down time by shifting server roles to other server(s) (Esp. if your network is set up properly).

And lastly, and generally the biggest question is one of money. Can you afford 2 or more airly robust servers or enough for one good, high end server?

Just a few thoughts.

There is an advantage of separating the File server from the E-mail server. One I would think of is if the mail server goes down it does not take the file server down. We use Lotus Notes For E-mail Groupware with the calendar because it is less likely to be attacked for being a Microsoft product. We also scan all the email on another server using special software to cut down on Spam and virus's, but that might not be cost effective for 20 workers.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back