Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separate IP configurations dependent on wireless profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunShock

Technical User
Aug 21, 2003
US
Does anyone know of a method or program that would allow me to set separate IP configurations for separate wireless profiles? (I'm currently using XP SP2's built-in wireless config utility).

I'm already familiar with the alternate configuration capability, but this only works if DHCP fails. There are certain networks that have functioning DHCP where I still need to use custom IP settings.

I've also looked into various utilities that you can create custom profiles with (including creating scripts using NetSH.exe). The main problem with this approach is that the utilities I've come across still require me to manually select my profile. The solution I am looking for is one that will automatically determine which wireless network I'm connected to and use my custom settings as needed.

Use VISTA:

1. From the Connect to a network dialog box, click I don't see what I want to connect to. You can access the Connect to a network dialog box from many locations in Windows Vista, including the following:

• From the wireless connection icon in the notification area of the desktop
• From the Connect/disconnect wireless networks link in Control Panel-Network Connections
• From the context menu of a wireless network adapter in Control Panel-Network Connections

2. In the Select a connection option page, click Set up a network.

3. In the Enter information for the wireless network you want to add page, configure the following:

• Network name Type the name of the wireless network.
• Security type Select the method used to authenticate a connection to the wireless network (WEP (802.1x), WPA-Enterprise, or WPA2-Enterprise).
• Encryption type Select the method used to encrypt data frames sent over the wireless network (WEP, TKIP, or AES).

4. Click Next.

5. Click Change connection settings.

6. Set the WEP Key, or other security details for the authentication method chosen.

You can distribute the profiles to other users:

To export the settings of this bootstrap wireless profile to an XML file, type the following command:

netsh wlan export profile XML_File_Name Profile_Name Connection_Name

• XML_File_Name is the name of the XML file that will store the wireless profile settings.

• Profile_Name is the name of the wireless profile being exported.

• Connection_Name is the name of the wireless adapter for which the wireless profile has been configured.

I'm asking a question about Windows XP, so telling me to upgrade to Vista isn't really helpful. Also, the netsh method works in Windows XP as well, and I already mentioned that I had looked into it and stated why it is not a good solution for me. Finally, my concern is not with storing the wireless network security settings, as the built-in utility handles those fine. My intent is to have a different IP address configuration for each wireless network and have it load automatically.

Example: Wireless Network A has a DHCP server, but I don't want to use it and want to use a specific IP address, gateway, DNS, etc. Network B has DHCP and I want to use it. Network C does not have DHCP, so I need to use custom settings again, but this settings are different than those used in Network A. My goal is to set these configurations up once and have them automatically switch to the appropriate one upon connection to that wireless network.

XP cannot natively do it.
VISTA can. An aspect of the connection can be set in the profile: static vs. DHCP, IP, Gateway, .etc.

Netsh under XP has none of the richness of Vista for wireless, including the fact the Netsh under XP covers no aspect of the wireless security, encryption or compression standard of the connection.

You could see if IconZone can be made to suit, using Netsh scripting for IP, Subnet Mask & Gateway settings:
I would use the new XP Wireless client as well, as it adds new classes for wireless in WMI:
Finally, you could ask Microsoft for an invitation for the beta Wireless Live client for XP. It is LLTDR aware, exposes the entire wireless GUI in WMI for scripting, and "borrows" the VISTA notion of profiles.

Ah, I thought you had misunderstood me at first when it was I who had misunderstood you. Thanks very much for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back