Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separate instances of SQL Server 2005 on same machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccessUser22

Technical User
Jan 23, 2003
US
We have a test server that I would like to use as both a "mirror" for our live databases and at the same time on this test machine, I would like to have an instance that would be used specifically for testing of new code.

Am I able to do this and how does one go about installing a separate instance? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You have to run the SQL install again. This time name your instance. You will have end up with one default instance of SQL and 1 named instance of SQL.

- Paul
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Make sure to different tcp port for another instance

Additionally, don't expect to install another instance of SSIS. Only one instance of SQL Server Integration Services can be on a server and it is available to all instances of SQL Server 2005 on that server.

-SQLBill

The following is part of my signature block and is only intended to be informational.
Posting advice: FAQ481-4875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back