Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

separate domains temporarily - same server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

artguy

Technical User
Feb 2, 2001
US
I have 2 web sites that are going to be merging with each other. So for the next few months, they are creating similar Web sites and retaining their separate domain names. Each site will have an identical home page allowing people coming to either domain decide which one they want to view.

Is there a way to setup the DNS so that both sites will be on the same server but when people are browsing pages in a certain directory they display "domainA.com" and if they jump over to browse files in another specific directory, the URL displays "domainB.com"? Not sure if I'm explaining this clearly.

Thank you for your time.

Bob

You can't tie the domain names to directories. But you can tie directories to domain names. Maintain your separate directories, and create a web site built on top of each directory. When a hyperlink on a page in one directory points to a page that exists in the other directory, you need to supply a full URL that includes the other domain name. You can't just supply a /folder/file.htm path and expect the domain name to change. You would have to give it
You don't even have to use separate IP addresses for each site if you use host headers to sort the traffic to one or the other, but if you are using HTTPS/SSL, then you should have each site set up with its own unique IP address (on the same server).

ShackDaddy

Thanks for the response! Makes complete sense. Didn't think of doing it that way. I'll do it this way if they make me. Right now I'm just trying to get each site on separate servers talk to the same DB.

Thanks for your help!

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back