Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Separate directories for OpenOffice.org 2.1 apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wkszd

MIS
May 17, 2002
US
We are getting ready to install OpenOffice.org to replace Microsoft Office. In testing, I found that OpenOffice.org 2.1 wants all of the users' files to go in the same directory. Does anyone know if we can point each application to separate directories? For instance, a users' existing Word directory would have to point to Writer, existin Excel directory would have to point to Calc, etc. Any help would be apprecitate.

Do you mean that you want Writer to save new documents in the user's Writer directory by default, Calc to save in the Calc directory by default, and so on?

I'm fairly sure that's not possible. New files will be saved by default in the root of the user's home directory, though of course they can be saved anywhere.

Thanks Tony. That is what we want. Guess we make it too easy for our users.

I think Tony is correct - and maybe he meant this by 'saved anywhere' but the default can be changed, though it will be the same across all components of the suite.

Tools -> Options -> Paths

And then edit "My Documents

Thanks. That's what we were seeing, but thought someone knew a work around. Guess it's time to retrain the users.

I was asked to pose this question:

Is there a command switch that would open each component of the suite defaulting to different directories? For example, when Writer is started, the default directory would be the users' Word/Writer directory; Calc would start in the users' Excel/Calc directory. Or, is there a macro that could do this?

Well, you could write a little shell script which would (1) alter your settings file to set the appropriate directory, then (2) start the program.

With Linux tools it should be fairly simple; in Windows probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back