Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SEO Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamundsen

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2001
US
If have a page that has 2 <HTML> tags, 2 <BODY> tags, & 2 <head> tags. Will spiders crawl a page with duplicate tags, or will a spider jump off the page? This is happening because I am running an asp site that has #include files which have HTML tags in the code. The product pages also have HTML tags, which is why duplicate tags are being produced. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett

It won't even slow the crawlers down, they don't render the code.

HOWEVER it should be fixed because it may well cause problems for browsers and accessibility devices.
Which should be your primary concern.

SE crawlers don't buy products.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi

Chris, my first thought too was what you answered. But then comes the second and now I am not so sure.

The indexers use the content of [tt]title[/tt]s. By having two [tt]head[/tt] sections, there probably will be two [tt]title[/tt]s also. Sure this will not be seen as keyword flooding ?

Thanks.

Feherke.

Thank you for your replies. The reason there are duplicate tags is that the include file header.htm, which consists of the header and navigation menu, has it's own opening and closing HTML tags. The main content pages also have their own opening and closing HTML tags. I assume the previous designer did not realize he was creating duplicate HTML tags, but now the website consists of 250+ pages, and this has become a big problem. I was curious if this would cause a spider to jump off the page, and if not, I wasn't going to be in a big hurry to fix this.

Thank you,

Brett

That's where Server Side Includes are so great. You put all the common code in one file, and to update ALL those pages, you modify the one file. You're right that 250 pages are a LOT to update, but you might consider creating a standard page top in a separate file (or a few of them, depending on how many variations you have) and bite the bullet to put the SSI in. I generally have one include for the top of the page (including navigation) and one for the bottom, leaving only the content specific to that page to be written in the body of the page.

With a good text editor that can handle multiple documents (I use Textpad), you can open a couple hundred files and change all of them with a global search and replace. You could at least handle removing the duplicate tags that way.

Lee

Errr... Lee, he's already using SSI:
The reason there are duplicate tags is that the include file header.htm, which consists of the header and navigation menu, has it's own opening and closing HTML tags.
Brett, header.htm does not need to be a complete HTML document with all the <html>,<head> and <body> tags. It's not going to be seen on its own, only as a part of a full page, so you only need to put in the tags you need for the page headings. Just edit [tt]header.htm[/tt] and remove the unneeded tags.

Take a look at my post (currently) at the end of thread828-1086345 which demonstrates the use of SSI.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

I'd read that initially, but was sloppy in my thinking when I replied.

Lee

Thank you for your help everyone. I agree xtendscott, it does appear he was a lazy developer, and yes, he was using DW. I guess I will use a text editor and remove all the <HTML>, <HEAD> & <BODY> opening/closing tags from the content pages. I doubt this will help much with SEO, but I assume this will help greatly with rendering of the pages.

Thanks again,

Brett

Hi

Brett said:
I guess I will use a text editor and remove all the <HTML>, <HEAD> & <BODY> opening/closing tags from the content pages.
I would be lazy to do that. On Linux systems are some good text utilities, like [tt]sed[/tt] and [tt]awk[/tt] to do such things. If you have no Linux available, both [tt]sed[/tt] and [tt]awk[/tt] have some Windows versions too. If interested in how those tools can help you, take a look for example in forum271 ( AWK ).

Feherke.

Hi

One file ? Sorry then, I misunderstood the situation.
Brett said:
I assume the previous designer did not realize he was creating duplicate HTML tags, but now the website consists of 250+ pages, and this has become a big problem.

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back